The Global ARCHICAD Community

Stay informed. Get help. Share your knowledge.

View only topic. Search this topic for existing answers before asking a question on AC-Talk!

Moderators: ejrolon, Barry Kelly, Karl Ottenstein, LaszloNagy, gkmethy

By apolgar
How do I format my Post?

This forum uses BBCodes for formatting posts. A BBCode is a type of formatting that can be applied to your post content, much like HTML. BBCode uses square brackets [ and ]. In the square bracket the name of the formatting option is displayed. the content must be written between two brackets: [...]ContentPost[/....]- The last text in brackets contains a forward-slash to 'close' that formatting option. Tip: if you see square brackets with format/quote codes in your message after posting, it means that you disabled the BBCode checkbox in your post. Please consider editing your post (gear icon) and removing the checkmark from the "Disable BBCode" option.

How to reply to a Post?

Only registered users can reply to a post. There are two ways to do that, you can either choose the ’+Reply’ button at the top or bottom of a Topic or reply with a quote by selecting ’chat bubble’ in the upper corner of the Post. It’s proper etiquette is to quote a message and give an attribution to the author (use the forums technology for this). However, unnecessary quoting can also create extremely long messages. Try to limit yourself to quoting only the essential portion of the message.

What are those icons next to a Topic?

Those icons are the topic icons, images indicating the post content.

Signal = Global Announcement
Folder icon = Main Topic
Microphone = Announcement
Sheet = Topic
Chart = Pool
Lock = Only Administrators/Moderators can post in this topic
Pin = Upcoming Event

Why do some posts have different colors?

If the topic-icon appears dark blue on your homepage, it means that this topic contains unread posts.

How can I print a Topic/Post?

It is not possible to print only one Post or to print an entire Topic with multiple pages at once.
If you click on the ’printer’ icon next to a Topic, only the active page will be opened in a new tab in a printable view.

How can I e-mail a Topic/Post?

If want to send an interesting/useful topic to a friend, you need to click on the ’mail’ icon in the upper right corner of the post.
After clicking on it, you need to add an e-mail address and a name to you want to send the topic/post to. Optionally you can write a short message as well. It is also possible to send a copy to yourself.

Can I create a Main Topic?

Only Moderators are allowed to create new Main Topics. Forum-users can add new Topics under the Main Topics. To do that click on the Main Topic your new Topic belongs under and click on ’+New Topic’.

How can I quote a Message? 

Quoting messages allows you to include other's posts in your own. It is useful to show that you are replying to a post, or part of a post. To quote all of someone's post, select the ’chat bubble’ in the upper corner of the Post. It’s proper etiquette to quote the message, and give an attribution to the author (use the forums technology for this). However, unnecessary quoting can also create extremely long messages. Try to limit yourself to quoting only the essential portion of the message.

How do I edit or delete a Poll? 

As with posts, polls can only be edited by the original poster, a moderator, or board administrator. To edit a poll, click the first post in the topic, which always has the poll associated with it. If no one has cast a vote then users can delete the poll or edit any poll option. However, if people have already placed votes only moderators or administrators can edit or delete it; this is to prevent people rigging polls by changing options mid-way through a poll  

How do I create a Poll? 

When you post a new Topic (or edit the first post of a topic, if you have permission) and you want to create a Poll in it you have to click on ’Poll creation’ below the main posting box. Enter the question and at least two options. Under ’Poll options’ you can define the options (not more than 10). Place each option on a new line. You can also set a time limit for the poll, 0 being an infinite amount. You can define the maximum number of options a user can select and even allow them to change their vote.

How do I edit or delete a Post?

You can only edit or delete your own posts. You can edit a post by clicking the edit button for the relevant post. If someone has already replied to the post, you will find a small piece of text output below the post when you return to the topic that lists the number of times you edited it. This will only appear if no one has replied. Forum-users cannot delete a post once someone has replied. 

Can I post Images?  

Images can indeed be shown in your Posts. However, there is a size limit (5 MB per image). If you intended to share a larger image with the community, please use the link function that can point to a publicly accessible web server where the image is available, e.g. http://www.some-unknown-place.net/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor to images stored behind authentication mechanisms such as Hotmail or Yahoo mailboxes, password-protected sites, etc.

Can I embed YouTube videos?

Yes, just paste the URL of the YouTube video into your post and it will be embedded automatically.

How to create a new Topic?
Only registered users can create a topic. Select a discussion and click on '+New Topic'.